Ireland To Secure A Narrow Win Over Scotland At Murrayfield
Scotland and Ireland get the 2017 Six Nations started with their opening encounter at Murrayfield on Saturday afternoon and we are backing our pre-tournament tip, Ireland, to secure a narrow victory...
- Scotland have lost the opening match of the Six Nations 16 times in the past 17 years
- Scotland last won their first match of the Six Nations in 2006
- Ireland have won 4 games in a row against Scotland
|Saturday 4th February - 2.25pm||Odds||Won/Lost||Bet|
|Scotland v Ireland|
|Tips||Ireland win by 1-10 points Best Bet||@ 2 / 1|
The Irish have won each of the last four Scotland v Ireland fixtures but they will be wary of a trip to an improving Scotland side that has enjoyed steady progress under Head Coach Vern Cotter, who actually leaves his role at the end of this tournament.
Cotter has made the Scots competitive to the point that they are being touted as potential 'dark horses' this year and how they would love to make a mark on home soil this weekend.
Scotland are slight underdogs for the match (2/1 with Betfred) and their only three wins against Ireland since 2000 have all come at Murrayfield but we fancy an impressive Ireland (4/9 with Betfred) will be too strong.
Ireland were handed an almighty boost by the news that Joe Schmidt will stay on as Head Coach until 2019 as they have been so impressive with the New Zealander at the helm, winning both the 2014 and 2015 Six Nations titles.
The Irish did fall short in their title defence last year but they have since beaten South Africa, New Zealand and Australia, and they have the strength in depth to cope with the injured Jonny Sexton, who will be replaced by the able Paddy Jackson on Saturday.
Jackson's kicking is likely to be crucial as the threat of rain lingers over Murrayfield and the match could well be decided by the kicking of each side's fly halves.
Conditions might not allow too much free-flowing rugby but Scotland's Tommy Seymour could be worth a look to be first tryscorer (14/1 with Sky Bet) as he has been in fine form for Glasgow Warriors, scoring eight tries in nine Pro 12 matches, and he has notched eight tries in his last fourteen Tests for Scotland.
The Scots do tend to be fast starters in games as they led at half-time three of their five matches in the Six Nations in 2016, while they have covered a +3 point advantage in the half-time handicap market (Evens with Betfred) in nine of their last eleven Tests.
Narrow Away Win
However, the Scots could just fall short against a strong Ireland team and the Irish are a stand-out 2/1 to win by 1-10 points (Coral), with the Irish winning their last two meetings against Scotland by ten points and six points respectively.
Winning Margin Odds:
Archive - Previous 5 Rugby-union Articles
Ireland Tipped To Pip England To The Six Nations Crown
2017 Six Nations Betting Preview
England v South Africa Headlines Our Best Bets Treble For Saturdays Autumn Internationals
Autumn Internationals Treble Pays 4/1
Glasgow Warriors Tipped To Battle Their Way To The 2017 Guinness Pro 12 Title
Guinness Pro 12 Season Betting Preview
Aviva Premiership Betting Preview Bath tipped to bounce back to form
Semesa Rokoduguni Is A Tempting Top Tryscorer Bet
Dominant New Zealand are odds on for the 2016 Rugby Championship
2016 Rugby Championship Betting Preview
Tottenhams Quality To Tell In The Second Half Of FA Cup Clash at Rochdale
Rochdale V Tottenham Betting Preview
Bank On A Fast Start To The Wigan v Man City FA Cup Tie
Wigan V Manchester City Betting Preview
- Place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses Paddy Power will refund your stake in CASH.
- Max refund for this offer is £20
- New customers only, limited to one per person. If you’ve previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer.
- Over 18's Only, Terms and Conditions Apply
Open Account - £20 Risk Free Bet
- Register and place an initial bet of £10
- Boylesports will provide you with up to £25 in free bets
Open Account - £25 Free Bet
- Enter the Promo Code F50 as you register
- Place an initial bet of £10 or more
- Ladbrokes will provide you a free bet of up to £50
- Bet £50 and get £50 in free bets
Open Account - £50 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Coral will provide you with £30 in free bets
- Visit Coral for full details
Open Account - £30 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Betfred will provide you with a £30 free bet that can be used on any sport
- In addition to this, Betfred will provide you with 30 free spins on their online casino
Open Account - £30 Signup Offer
Online Casino Blackjack and Roulette Games
Those looking for some online casino entertainment ought to check out all the latest UK Casino Sign Up offers from the top operators including 32Red and many of the sports betting casinos.
There is excellent information, should you be interested in playing online blackjack, roulette, the best progressives or slots - Online Casino Betting with the best introductory offers