Wholestone tipped to outstay rivals in Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham on Trials Day
Saturday 27th January, 2017 - 3:35pm Cheltenham - Cleeve Hurdle
Colin Tizzard trained Thistlecrack to victory in the 2016 Cleeve Hurdle, and he will aim to regain the coveted Cheltenham crown on Saturday with Finian's Oscar, who will return to the hurdling sphere after a far from impressive foray into the chasing ranks, but that raider will face a whole host of classy staying hurdlers on Festival Trials Day, which could produce some vital clues for the Stayers' Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival.
- Finian's Oscar returns to hurdles after chasing campaign
- Wholestone won the Relkeel Hurdle at Cheltenham on New Year's Day
- Beer Goggles was a shock winner of the Long Distance Hurdle at Newbury
|Saturday 27th January - 3.35pm||Odds||Won/Lost||Bet|
|Tips||Wholestone to win Best Bet||@ 100 / 30|
Finian's Oscar Worth Taking On
Installed as the 3/1 favourite with Coral, Finian's Oscar is a really interesting contender, but while he won his opening two races over fences, he has since struggled to sparkle over the larger obstacles of late, and a return to hurdling is certainly an after-thought, as the Tizzard team look to build his confidence back up.
A Grade One-winning novice hurdler, Finians Oscar showed when outpaced in the Henry VIII Novices' Chase at Sandown Park that he needs a trip, and improved over 2m 5f last time out when beaten by Benatar, but he may not relish the 3m trip in testing conditions at Cheltenham on Saturday afternoon, and having disappointed on his last two starts on a racecourse, he is certainly not a solid market leader, and is worth taking on.
Wholestone The One To Beat
Nigel Twiston-Davies will aim for more success at Prestbury Park, as he saddles Wholestone, and that performer relished the testing going at Cheltenham on New Year's Day, as he outbattled Agrapart (8/1) in the Relkeel Hurdle, and with soft conditions expected once again then the Naunton inmate can cement his place as a potential Stayers' Hurdle contender.
Wholestone is a 100/30 shot with Paddy Power for this prize, and he is certainly one that will relish the stamina test needed to win this race, and having been well backed for that Relkeel Hurdle, then if he gains significant support in the lead-up to the race, then that could see him shine once again, and he is the one to beat.
Best Of The Rest
Beer Goggles beat Wholestone in the Long Distance Hurdle at Newbury, and they won't be a dry eye in the house should that raider win, as his trainer Richard Woollacott sadly passed away earlier this week, and will run under Richard's wife Kayley's name, and at 6/1 with Paddy Power has to be a cracking each-way bet.
Of the others, The Worlds End (6/1) and Thomas Campbell (8/1) will need to produce career bests if they are to play a part in the finish, but the latter does have winner form at the track this season, but may just fall below top class, while the gutsy Colin's Sister (12/1) is another that adds significant depth to the race that will see Wholestone cement his place a real candidate for the wide open Stayers' Hurdle in March.
2018 Cleeve Hurdle Odds
*Odds correct as of 26th Jan, 16:56. Odds are subject to change.
Archive - Previous 5 Horse-racing Articles
Un De Sceaux to claim Clarence House Chase hat trick at Ascot
2018 Clarence House Chase Betting Preview
Mont Des Avaloirs tipped to win Tolworth Hurdle at Sandown Park
2018 Tolworth Hurdle Betting Preview
Punters Should Go Down Bishops Road For Their Welsh Grand National Bet
Chase The Spud Is No Potato
Poetic Rhythm to hit the right tune in Challow Hurdle at Newbury
Kilbricken Storm Heads The Betting For Final Grade 1 Of Year
Progressive Thomas Campbell to storm to Long Walk Hurdle win at Ascot
2017 Long Walk Hurdle Betting Preview
- Place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses Paddy Power will refund your stake in CASH.
- Max refund for this offer is £20
- New customers only, limited to one per person. If you’ve previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer.
- Over 18's Only, Terms and Conditions Apply
Open Account - £20 Risk Free Bet
- Register and place an initial bet of £10
- Boylesports will provide you with up to £25 in free bets
Open Account - £25 Free Bet
- Enter the Promo Code F50 as you register
- Place an initial bet of £10 or more
- Ladbrokes will provide you a free bet of up to £50
- Bet £50 and get £50 in free bets
Open Account - £50 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Coral will provide you with £30 in free bets
- Visit Coral for full details
Open Account - £30 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Betfred will provide you with a £30 free bet that can be used on any sport
- In addition to this, Betfred will provide you with 30 free spins on their online casino
Open Account - £30 Signup Offer
Online Casino Blackjack and Roulette Games
Those looking for some online casino entertainment ought to check out all the latest UK Casino Sign Up offers from the top operators including 32Red and many of the sports betting casinos.
There is excellent information, should you be interested in playing online blackjack, roulette, the best progressives or slots - Online Casino Betting with the best introductory offers