The Last Samuri an Put Rivals To The Sword In Cotswold Chase At Cheltenham
Saturday 26th Jan 2018, 2.25pm - Cotswold Chase (Cheltenham)
Cheltenham Festival trials Day is always a key date on the calendar and the Cotwsold Chase is one of the highlights of what looks like a terrific card. A Cheltenham Gold Cup Trial, this is a race often used as the last stepping stone on the way to the big race in March, and we have a strong field engaged this season.
- Looks Like Trouble is the last horse to win this race and the Cheltenham Gold Cup in the same season (2000)
Bristol De Mai The Clear Favourite
The Nigel Twiston-Davies trained chaser remains something of an enigma in the jumps racing world with a mixture of stunning displays and no shows littered across his CV.
The seven-year-old produced a simply remarkable performance in winning the Betfair Chase at Haydock back in November by 57 lengths. At a track he loves, he galloped round in ground that suited him, and simply destroyed some very good horses to win one of the biggest races on the calendar.
He followed that display with a flop in the King George and he now returns to Cheltenham, a track he has never won at, as the warm favourite for the Cotswold. Softish ground should suit the popular grey, and on his best form he is certainly the most likely winner at 5/4 with Coral.
Some Strong Opposition Taking On The Favourite
Bristol De Mai certainly looks to have the class edge on the field but this could well turn into something of a stamina test in testing ground.
Definitly Red (6/1) has form to find with Bristol De Mai from their Charlie Hall run earlier in the season but he impressed last time in winning the Many Clouds Chase at Aintree, which means he could well prove to be in the mix.
American (5/1) is the unexposed younger horse in the field who could still technically be anything. A lovely jumper and an impressive novice, he flopped first time out in the Ladbrokes Trophy but it might be too early to give up on him in testing ground.
Tea For Two tends to save his best performances for Kempton and is hard to fancy here for Nick Williams, which means that The Last Samuri is the bet.
A terrific chase for Kim Bailey, the 10-year-old, he was 2nd in the 2016 Grand National and all roads lead back to Aintree for an attempt at going one better. He ran well to finish 2nd in the Becher Chase on his last start and getting 6lbs from Bristol De Mai should put him very close to the favourite.
A dour stayer, The Last Samuri wouldn't be a top class staying chaser but conditions and the weights favour him this weekend which means he can be a major player at 9/2 with Betfred.
Latest Cotswold Chase Betting - Click To Bet
*Odds correct as of 26th Jan, 16:56. Odds are subject to change.
Archive - Previous 5 Horse-racing Articles
Wholestone tipped to outstay rivals in Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham on Trials Day
2018 Cleeve Hurdle Betting Preview
Un De Sceaux to claim Clarence House Chase hat trick at Ascot
2018 Clarence House Chase Betting Preview
Mont Des Avaloirs tipped to win Tolworth Hurdle at Sandown Park
2018 Tolworth Hurdle Betting Preview
Punters Should Go Down Bishops Road For Their Welsh Grand National Bet
Chase The Spud Is No Potato
Poetic Rhythm to hit the right tune in Challow Hurdle at Newbury
Kilbricken Storm Heads The Betting For Final Grade 1 Of Year
- Place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses Paddy Power will refund your stake in CASH.
- Max refund for this offer is £20
- New customers only, limited to one per person. If you’ve previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer.
- Over 18's Only, Terms and Conditions Apply
Open Account - £20 Risk Free Bet
- Register and place an initial bet of £10
- Boylesports will provide you with up to £25 in free bets
Open Account - £25 Free Bet
- Enter the Promo Code F50 as you register
- Place an initial bet of £10 or more
- Ladbrokes will provide you a free bet of up to £50
- Bet £50 and get £50 in free bets
Open Account - £50 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Coral will provide you with £30 in free bets
- Visit Coral for full details
Open Account - £30 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Betfred will provide you with a £30 free bet that can be used on any sport
- In addition to this, Betfred will provide you with 30 free spins on their online casino
Open Account - £30 Signup Offer
Online Casino Blackjack and Roulette Games
Those looking for some online casino entertainment ought to check out all the latest UK Casino Sign Up offers from the top operators including 32Red and many of the sports betting casinos.
There is excellent information, should you be interested in playing online blackjack, roulette, the best progressives or slots - Online Casino Betting with the best introductory offers