Bateel to down Journey and win Fillies and Mares Stakes at Ascot
Saturday 21st October, 2017 - 2:40pm Ascot - Fillies & Mares Stakes
Journey was a fine winner of the Fillies & Mares Stakes last year, and the John Gosden-trained starlet will attempt to retain her Group 1 crown on Saturday afternoon, but this Ascot contest will see host of exciting runners head to the 1m 4f start, and there's a strong contingent over from Europe to try and grab the prize.
- Journey won this race last year
- Bateel beat Journey in France last time out
- Coronet won the Ribblesdale Stakes at Royal Ascot earlier in the season
|Saturday 21st October - 2.40pm||Odds||Won/Lost||Bet|
|Fillies & Mares Stakes|
|Tips||Bateel to win Best Bet||@ 5 / 2|
Having finished second in this race two years ago, and winning it last season, it's no surprise to see Journey installed towards the head of the betting, but she is currently a 3/1 second favourite with Ladbrokes, and sits behind French raider Bateel, who is a 5/2 chance with Coral bookmakers for this contest.
Bateel has been a hugely progressive performer this season, and beat Journey by over two lengths when the pair clashed in the Prix Vermeille in France last time out, and while Journey was returning off a fairly lengthy ten-week layoff, and is sure to come on for the run, it's Bateel that can frank the form, as she looks to be still heading on an upward curve, and can lower the colours of Journey for a second race in a row.
Gosden will not only saddle Journey, but will unleash Coronet, who hasn't tasted victory since winning the Ribblesdale Stakes at Royal Ascot, so while she has shown she can produce the goods at the highest level, it's hard to fancy the 5/1 chance with William Hill, who can be highly inconsistent.
Aidan O'Brien's Hydrangea is the only other single-figured priced runner in the race, and her victory over stablemate Winter in Ireland is real top-class form, and she will receive a weight allowance from her older rivals here, but the 13/2 chance with Coral had a tough race when second in the Prix de l'Opera in France, and she will find it hard to reach that level again.
Each Way Contenders
Andrew Balding's Horseplay produced a fine effort when finishing fourth to Enable in the Oaks at Epsom, but she failed to sparkle at Salisbury last time out, and will need to bounce back to form here on Saturday on British Champions Day, and at 12/1 with William Hill can be one to scratch off the list.
Left Hand (14/1) and The Juliet Rose (14/1) add more European flavour to the race, but both will need career bests to land any sort of blow on the fancied contenders in the betting, while Alyssa (20/1) will need to improve on her shock win in the Park Hill Stakes last time out, but could be the each-way play in the race, should some of the main protagonists flop on the big stage.
2017 Fillies & Mares Stakes Odds
Archive - Previous 5 Horse-racing Articles
Ribchester can bound to Queen Elizabeth II Stakes glory on Champions Day
Richard Fahey-trained Raider To Down Churchill At Ascot
Quiet Reflection The Each Way Play In Stunning British Champions Sprint Stakes
Harry Angel Should Beat Caravaggio At Ascot
Punters Should Be On The Cracksman To Win The Champion Stakes At Ascot
Brametot Might Out Run On His Odds On Champions Day
Who Dares Wins tipped to shine in Betfred Cesarewitch at Newmarket
2017 Cesarewitch Handicap Betting Preview
Improving US Navy Flag A Massive Each Way Price In Exciting Dewhust Stakes Market
Expert Eye Could Be Something Special
- Place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses Paddy Power will refund your stake in CASH.
- Max refund for this offer is £20
- New customers only, limited to one per person. If you’ve previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer.
- Over 18's Only, Terms and Conditions Apply
Open Account - £20 Risk Free Bet
- Register and place an initial bet of £10
- Boylesports will provide you with up to £25 in free bets
Open Account - £25 Free Bet
- Enter the Promo Code F50 as you register
- Place an initial bet of £10 or more
- Ladbrokes will provide you a free bet of up to £50
- Bet £50 and get £50 in free bets
Open Account - £50 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Coral will provide you with £30 in free bets
- Visit Coral for full details
Open Account - £30 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Betfred will provide you with a £30 free bet that can be used on any sport
- In addition to this, Betfred will provide you with 30 free spins on their online casino
Open Account - £30 Signup Offer
Online Casino Blackjack and Roulette Games
Those looking for some online casino entertainment ought to check out all the latest UK Casino Sign Up offers from the top operators including 32Red and many of the sports betting casinos.
There is excellent information, should you be interested in playing online blackjack, roulette, the best progressives or slots - Online Casino Betting with the best introductory offers