Poppy Kay tipped to cause Betfair Hurdle upset at Newbury
Saturday 10th February - 3:35pm Newbury - Betfair Hurdle
One of the toughest betting heats of the National Hunt season takes place at Newbury on Saturday afternoon as 24 runners head to the 2m 69y start for the 2018 Betfair Hurdle, and the likes of Jenkins, High Bridge and Lalor will be prominent figures at the head of the market, but a whole host of contenders will fancy their chances of picking up a valuable prize fund.
- The last nine winners have carried 11st 2 or less
- Three of the last four winners have been priced 16/1 or bigger
- The last nine winners have been aged five or six
|Saturday 10th February - 3.35pm||Odds||Won/Lost||Bet|
|Tips||Poppy Kay (each way) Best Bet||@ 25 / 1|
Nicky Henderson trained My Tent Or Yours to victory in this race in 2013 and the Seven Barrows handler will aim to land more success on Saturday with Jenkins, who is going in search of a third win in a row, and is currently an 11/1 chance with Betfred, but having gone up in the handicap of late, the quirky performer may struggle to land the hat-trick.
Ben Pauling's High Bridge will have the burden of top weight, but he was impressive when beating Charli Parcs (33/1 with Coral) at Ascot last time out, and the 20/1 chance with William Hill could play another prominent role here, but may just struggle with a rise in the handicap.
Irish Roe was beaten by Maria's Benefit last time out, and that is top-class form, and the former deserves to be 10/1 market leader with Paddy Power, and has the potential to win this contest, while Lalor is another on the rise, and at 11/1 with William Hill also can play a star role, with Kalshnikov, Blue Et Rouge, Kayf Grace and Waterlord, who are all 12/1, just another notable quartet at the head of the betting.
Poppy Kay The Value Play
Like Irish Roe, Poppy Kay is another mare bidding for glory on Saturday on a stunning Newbury card, and the Philip Hobbs-trained raider looks a cracking value play at 25/1 with Paddy Power, as she was last seen winning a Listed mares event at Sandown Park, and could figure here.
She was beaten by High Bridge last time they clashed, and Poppy Kay is much better off at the weights on Saturday, and if she can take to the hustle and bustle of a red-hot handicap then she could outrun her lofty odds, and could be a shock winner for the champion jockey Richard Johnson.
Best Of The Rest
David Pipe's Moon Racer hasn't been seen on a racecourse since Aintree last April, but the Pond House inmate could make the most of an attracitve mark if recapturing some old form, and is eye-catching at 25/1 with William Hill, while the likes of Verdana Blue (12/1), Silver Streak (14/1) and William H Bonney (28/1) add more depth to what should be a devilishly difficult assignment for punters.
2018 Betfair Hurdle Odds
*Odds correct as of 9th Feb, 15:51. Odds are subject to change.
Archive - Previous 5 Horse-racing Articles
Our Duke To Start Favourite For Open Looking Irish Gold Cup
Valseur Lido Could Be Under The Radar At Leopardstown
Faugheen aims to bounce back to form in Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown
Bapaume A Great Each Way Bet In Grade 1 Feature
The Last Samuri an Put Rivals To The Sword In Cotswold Chase At Cheltenham
Bristol De Mai The Favourite For Gold Cup Trial
Wholestone tipped to outstay rivals in Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham on Trials Day
2018 Cleeve Hurdle Betting Preview
Un De Sceaux to claim Clarence House Chase hat trick at Ascot
2018 Clarence House Chase Betting Preview
- Place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses Paddy Power will refund your stake in CASH.
- Max refund for this offer is £20
- New customers only, limited to one per person. If you’ve previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer.
- Over 18's Only, Terms and Conditions Apply
Open Account - £20 Risk Free Bet
- Register and place an initial bet of £10
- Boylesports will provide you with up to £25 in free bets
Open Account - £25 Free Bet
- Enter the Promo Code F50 as you register
- Place an initial bet of £10 or more
- Ladbrokes will provide you a free bet of up to £50
- Bet £50 and get £50 in free bets
Open Account - £50 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Coral will provide you with £30 in free bets
- Visit Coral for full details
Open Account - £30 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Betfred will provide you with a £30 free bet that can be used on any sport
- In addition to this, Betfred will provide you with 30 free spins on their online casino
Open Account - £30 Signup Offer
Online Casino Blackjack and Roulette Games
Those looking for some online casino entertainment ought to check out all the latest UK Casino Sign Up offers from the top operators including 32Red and many of the sports betting casinos.
There is excellent information, should you be interested in playing online blackjack, roulette, the best progressives or slots - Online Casino Betting with the best introductory offers