Faugheen aims to bounce back to form in Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown
Saturday 3rd February, 2018 - 3:30pm Leopardstown - Irish Champion Hurdle
Willie Mullins has a sensational record in the Irish Champion Hurdle having won six of the last seven renewals of the Leopardstown Grade 1, and having relinquished the crown 12 months ago, the master of Closutton will attempt to recapture the coveted prize, and he will unleash a three-pronged attack on the 2018 renewal, and it will see Faugheen aim to bounce back from a disappointing performance last time out.
- Willie Mullins has won six of the last seven renewals (saddles Faugheen, Melon, Bapaume)
- Defi Du Seuil will fly the British flag in Grade 1 contest
- Faugheen aims to bounce back from flop last time out
|Saturday 3rd February - 3.30pm||Odds||Won/Lost||Bet|
|Irish Champion Hurdle|
|Tips||Bapaume (each way) Best Bet||@ 25 / 1|
Faugheen Worth Taking On?
On the face of it, Faugheen at 11/8 with Unibet to win the Irish Champion Hurdle looks an absolute steal, but for a horse that was pulled up sharply last time out in the Ryanair Hurdle, can you back the 2016 winner of this race to regain his crown on the opening day of the Dublin Racing Festival?
At his best, Faugheen would cruise to victory in this event, and he shaped like he was back to his best when cruising to victory in the Morgiana Hurdle on his comeback run in November, but the warning signs were there to be seen early on his Ryanair Hurdle flop, and while Mullins has stated he is impressing at home, it's not worth backing Faugheen at the skinny odds available.
He will no doubt be sent to the front from the start, and the in-running punters will certainly be watching the 'Machine' like a hawk, but he may just lack that pizzazz he showed when dominating this division a couple of years ago, and he is worth avoiding here, and if he doesn't sparkle then his place in the Cheltenham Festival will certainly be up in the air.
Major Rivals To Faugheen
Melon will be the second shot fired by the Mullins gun, and he will be eager to bounce back from a third-placed finish in the International Hurdle at Cheltenham in December, and if he can recapture the form he showed when cruising to victory in the WKD Hurdle then he is an eye-catching player at 2/1 with Coral.
Defi Du Seuil will make the journey over from Britain, and last year's Triumph Hurdle hero will be looking to bounce back from a disappointing fourth in the Coral Hurdle at Ascot, but the 6/1 shot with Coral will enjoy a drop back to two miles, and could be a lively player, if producing his best.
Bapaume Best Of The Rest
Mick Jazz (10/1 with Coral) beat Faugheen in that aforementioned Ryanair Hurdle, and will be hoping to show that wasn't a fluke, but this will be tougher, while Supasundae (20/1), Jezki (20/1) and Bapaume (25/1 with Coral) will be another leading trio taking aim, and it's the latter that could run a huge race for the Mullins team, as he struggled over three miles last time out, and could enjoy the drop back in trip, and providing the eight runners line up, the former Grade 1-winning juvenile can make the frame in an intriguing renewal.
2018 Irish Champion Hurdle Odds
*Odds correct as of 2nd Feb, 15:54. Odds are subject to change.
Archive - Previous 5 Horse-racing Articles
The Last Samuri an Put Rivals To The Sword In Cotswold Chase At Cheltenham
Bristol De Mai The Favourite For Gold Cup Trial
Wholestone tipped to outstay rivals in Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham on Trials Day
2018 Cleeve Hurdle Betting Preview
Un De Sceaux to claim Clarence House Chase hat trick at Ascot
2018 Clarence House Chase Betting Preview
Mont Des Avaloirs tipped to win Tolworth Hurdle at Sandown Park
2018 Tolworth Hurdle Betting Preview
Punters Should Go Down Bishops Road For Their Welsh Grand National Bet
Chase The Spud Is No Potato
- Place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses Paddy Power will refund your stake in CASH.
- Max refund for this offer is £20
- New customers only, limited to one per person. If you’ve previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer.
- Over 18's Only, Terms and Conditions Apply
Open Account - £20 Risk Free Bet
- Register and place an initial bet of £10
- Boylesports will provide you with up to £25 in free bets
Open Account - £25 Free Bet
- Enter the Promo Code F50 as you register
- Place an initial bet of £10 or more
- Ladbrokes will provide you a free bet of up to £50
- Bet £50 and get £50 in free bets
Open Account - £50 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Coral will provide you with £30 in free bets
- Visit Coral for full details
Open Account - £30 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Betfred will provide you with a £30 free bet that can be used on any sport
- In addition to this, Betfred will provide you with 30 free spins on their online casino
Open Account - £30 Signup Offer
Online Casino Blackjack and Roulette Games
Those looking for some online casino entertainment ought to check out all the latest UK Casino Sign Up offers from the top operators including 32Red and many of the sports betting casinos.
There is excellent information, should you be interested in playing online blackjack, roulette, the best progressives or slots - Online Casino Betting with the best introductory offers