Sweden Are The Value For Euro Under 21 Opener Against England
The European Under-21 Championships get underway in Poland on Friday evening as England take on defending champions Sweden at the Kolporter Arena in Kielce, with Aidy Bothroyd's side favourites for three points in this game on Sky Sports. However, we wonder whether England should be as short as 8/11...
- England have won 1 of 9 games at the previous 3 European U-21 Championships
- England have scored 5 goals in their last 9 games at European U-21 finals
- Sweden finished top of a group that included Spain during qualifying - Won 7, Drew 3, Lost 0
|Friday 16th June - 5.00pm||Odds||Won/Lost||Bet|
|Sweden U21 v England U21|
|Tips||Sweden U21 to win or draw Best Bet||@ 23 / 20|
The Match Prices
The two teams are in Group A, alongside Slovakia and tournament hosts Poland, this summer and qualification has been made a touch more difficult by the expansion of this competition to twelve teams, meaning only the three group winners and the runner-up with the best record go through to the semi-finals.
It means there is plenty of pressure on this opening game and we have seen in the past that England don't cope well with expectation. Yes, they are obviously a different set of players who may have been inspired by the Under-20's World Cup success last week but the Young Lions' record in the Under-21 Euros is simply dreadful and we just cannot back them at the prices.
Since reaching the final in 2009, England have won one game in three Under-21 tournaments, finishing bottom in each, and scored a meagre five goals in nine matches.
Quite simply, they are way too short at 8/11 for Friday (Bet 365), albeit Coral are offering new customers 20/1 for an England win for those who fancy.
Sweden Offer Value
Sweden won this competition in 2015 and it is remarkable to see that they are 4/1 to win or 5/2 to draw (B365) on Friday, while they are 23/20 to win or draw in the 'double chance' market (Bet 365) and Betfair go 23/10 about a Sweden win with 'draw no bet'.
Hacan Ericson's men look like the value here as they came through qualification unbeaten (won seven, drew three) and they finished top of a group that included the mighty Spain, who are favourites to win the Euros this summer.
As for England, they also went unbeaten through qualification (won six, drew two) but two of their top goalscorers from the qualifying campaign, Marcus Rashford and Chuba Akpom are missing from the squad for these finals.
Furthermore, English teams so often go to major tournaments on the verge of burnout following a long domestic season, whereas the Swedish Allsvenskan is only twelve games old and the fresher, sharper Swedes are great value to get something out of this opening match.
Archive - Previous 5 Football Articles
Back Chile And Portugal To Reach The Confederations Cup Final
2017 Confederations Cup Betting Preview
Italy Are The Value In The Betting For The Euro Under 21 Championships
2017 European U21 Championships Betting Preview
Toronto And LA Tipped For Home Wins In The Weekends MLS Treble
MLS Treble Pays 10/3
France Tipped To Beat England At The Stade De France
France V England Friendly Betting Preview
Dusan Tadic To Fire Serbia To Victory Over Wales
Serbia V Wales Betting Preview
- Place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses Paddy Power will refund your stake in CASH.
- Max refund for this offer is £20
- New customers only, limited to one per person. If you’ve previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer.
- Over 18's Only, Terms and Conditions Apply
Open Account - £20 Risk Free Bet
- Register and place an initial bet of £10
- Boylesports will provide you with up to £25 in free bets
Open Account - £25 Free Bet
- Enter the Promo Code F50 as you register
- Place an initial bet of £10 or more
- Ladbrokes will provide you a free bet of up to £50
- Bet £50 and get £50 in free bets
Open Account - £50 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Coral will provide you with £30 in free bets
- Visit Coral for full details
Open Account - £30 Free Bet
- Deposit and place a initial bet of £10
- Betfred will provide you with a £30 free bet that can be used on any sport
- In addition to this, Betfred will provide you with 30 free spins on their online casino
Open Account - £30 Signup Offer
Online Casino Blackjack and Roulette Games
Those looking for some online casino entertainment ought to check out all the latest UK Casino Sign Up offers from the top operators including 32Red and many of the sports betting casinos.
There is excellent information, should you be interested in playing online blackjack, roulette, the best progressives or slots - Online Casino Betting with the best introductory offers